Sunday, December 7, 2008

Christmas Spirit


>> This is worth reading.........>> >> I remember my first Christmas adventure with>> Grandma. I was just a kid. I remember tearing>> across town on my bike to visit her on the day>> my big sister dropped the bomb: "There is no>> Santa Claus," she jeered. "Even dummies know>> that!">> >> My Grandma was not the gushy kind, never had>> been. I fled to her that day because I knew she>> would be straight with me. I knew Grandma>> always told the truth, and I knew that the truth>> always went down a whole lot easier when>> swallowed with one of her "world-famous">> cinnamon buns. I knew they were world-famous,>> because Grandma said so.>> >> It had to be true.>> >> Grandma was home, and the buns were still>> warm. Between bites, I told her everything.>> She was ready for me. "No Santa Claus?">> She snorted...."Ridiculous! Don't believe it.>> That rumor has been going around for years,>> and it makes me mad, plain mad!! Now, put>> on your coat, and let's go.">> >> "Go? Go where, Grandma?" I asked. I hadn't>> even finished my second world-famous>> cinnamon bun.>> >> "Where" turned out to be Kerby's General>> Store, the one store in town that had a little>> bit of just about everything. As we walked>> through its doors, Grandma handed me ten>> dollars.>> >> That was a bundle in those days. "Take this>> money," she said, "and buy something for>> someone who needs it. I'll wait for you in>> the car. "Then she turned and walked out of>> Kerby's.>> >> I was only eight years old. I'd often gone>> shopping with my mother, but never had I>> shopped for anything all by myself.>> >> The store seemed big and crowded, full of>> people scrambling to finish their Christmas>> shopping. For a few moments I just stood>> there, confused, clutching that ten-dollar>> bill, wondering what to buy, and who on>> earth to buy it for. I thoug> ht of everybody>> I knew: my family, my friends, my neighbors,>> the kids at school, and the people who went>> to my church.>> >> I was just about thought out, when I>> suddenly thought of Bobby Decker. He was>> a kid with bad breath and messy hair, and>> he sat right behind me in Mrs. Pollock's>> second grade class.>> >> Bobby Decker didn't have a coat. I knew>> that because he never went out to recess>> during the winter. His mother always wrote>> a note, telling the teacher that he had a>> cough, but all we kids knew that Bobby>> Decker didn't have a cough; he didn't have>> a good coat. I fingered the ten-dollar bill>> with growing excitement. I would buy Bobby>> Decker a coat!>> >> I settled on a red corduroy one that had a>> hood to it. It looked real warm, and he>> would like that.>> >> "Is this a Christmas present for someone?">> the lady behind the counter asked kindly, as>> I laid my ten dollars down.>> >> "Yes, ma'am," I replied shyly. "It 's for>> Bobby.">> >> The nice lady smiled at me, as I told her>> about how Bobby really needed a good winter>> coat. I didn't get any change, but she put>> the coat in a bag, smiled again, and wished>> me a Merry Christmas.>> >> That evening, Grandma helped me wrap the>> coat in Christmas paper and ribbons and>> wrote, "To Bobby, From Santa Claus" on it(a>> little tag fell out of the coat, and Grandma>> tucked it in her Bible). Grandma said that>> Santa always insisted on secrecy. Then she>> drove me over to Bobby Decker's house,>> explaining as we went that I was now and>> forever officially, one of Santa's helpers.>> >> Grandma parked down the street from>> Bobby's house, and she and I crept>> noiselessly and hid in the bushes by his>> front walk.>> >> Then Grandma gave me a nudge. "All right,>> Santa Claus," she whispered, "get going.">> >> I took a deep breath, dashed for his front>> door, threw the present down on his step,>> pounded his door and flew back to the>> safety of the bushes and Grandma.>> >> Together we waited breathlessly in the>> darkness for the > front door to open. Finally>> it did, and there stood Bobby.>> >> Fifty years haven't dimmed the thrill of>> those moments spent shivering, beside my>> Grandma, in Bobby Decker's bushes.>> >> That night, I realized that those awful>> rumors about Santa Claus were just what>> Grandma said they were: ridiculous. Santa>> was alive and well, and we were on his team.>> I still have the Bible, with the coat tag>> tucked inside: $19.95.>> >> May you always have LOVE to share. And>> may you always believe in the magic of>> Santa Claus

No comments:

Followers

My reading list

  • Nicholas Sparks; The Choice

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed